February 20, 2005

I work for Classroom Support on campus and I work on the weekends. Saturday rolled around and I went to work. Mainly, all I do at work is sit around and wait for people to come in and check out A/V equipment or till I have to go to the Wilk and either pick something up or deliver something. On saturday there was an all day Science Fiction seminar in the Wilk. It's the closest thing I've seen to an actual Star Trek convention. Nerds everywhere !!!! Middle aged people came dressed up in their flashy, bright futuristic medieval garb. Something that you would see on a Robert Jordan novel or in an issue of ElfQuest.

Now I didn't actually see anyone wield a sword, a crossbow, or a spear, but I'm sure all weapons were checked at the door. I think BYU has a policy directly aimed at valkyries and stryders.

I did, however, see people breakout the 'Elven' jewelery and I'm pretty sure some ElfSpeak was present. I'm almost really sure that after attending a seminar like that and hearing people give drawn out talks on the Norse folklores and how it relates to scriptural teachings (this was, after all, at BYU) and how the history of the evolution of the earth, the development of the human language, and the use of dragons in ancient times all relate, people ran home to watch either the extended version of LOTR or some other SciFi fantasy, like X-files or Babylon 5.

Everytime I passed, all I could do was laugh and think about how much people invested into dressing up like warlocks and playing Magic: the Gathering.

It's times like these I wish I had a rubber dog puppet, a video camera, and an overly developed talent to heckle.

No comments: