September 25, 2003

While trying to understand the definition of limits and work a few problems in the math lab, a kid sat down next to me and proceeded to do his homework as well. Nothing out of the ordinary, just another day in the math lab.....until this kid started talking to himself. Not once but many times, whether it was congratulating himself on solving a problem correctly or getting mad at his instructor for problems that were in the book that he did not understand. His rantings became increasingly intense over the next hour. There was only a finite amount of time in which this behavior could be borne until it was time for me to excape into my headphones. As this kid continued to do his homework, his bodily gestures became more and more erratic. I think I started to fear for my life at one point. How was this kid allowed into BYU?? rather, how was this kid allowed into society?? I thought there was a sanity standard that had to be met before entrance into college ?? I don't know, I guess it's all about being able to pay tuition anymore.

No comments: