October 5, 2003

One of the most tragic events occured over this past weekend. Something extremely bad happened and most people missed it. Something that is almost too painful to mention, but if kept inside, will only lead to more pain and anguish. The tragic event that I am talking about is the 3-0 upset of the women's US national soccer team. In a very hard fought and one of the most intense games I've seen, the US just could not pull off the victory... I mostly blame the ref. It's always the ref that causes important games to be lost. I have much evidence to back up this claim. But to the US's credit, they fought hard, took many good shots, and made many brilliant plays. Worthy of European league play even. But in the end, it just wasn't a good day for women's soccer. With this loss, the US will play for 3rd place in the World Cup. My heart aches for them. Only one other time in history did the US fail to make it to the finals. I was very much in pain that year too. But rather than focus on the negative (dumb ref !!) I would just like to give Props to the awesome ladies that make up the US national team. Even though this year sucked for women's soccer, (with the dissolving of the WUSA) there is always the hope of the next World Cup. See you in 4 years.

No comments: