December 10, 2003

Some thoughts that should be thought about but really have no weight in reality and are not going to change the world:

1) I think people spend too much time watching the stock market and stewing over how much money they have lost. Have they really 'lost money' ?!? My answer to that is 'NO', because it's all on paper. There was really no loss of anything that was physical. What they 'lost' today may be regained tomorrow, depending on how many shoes were sold in Indonesia and how good their broker is feeling. The stock market is a good idea, but it leads to some bad ends. There were people that I've tracted into that would rather sit around their house all day and watch the little bar on the bottom of their screen scroll by then go out and enjoy the day or read a book. What was really lost was time. I admit that I watch the stock market and I have reason to but not on the scale that most people do. I go about my day, go to school, play DDR, read a book, and then occasionally I'll check to see where I ended at the end of the day. Granted, on paper I gained pennies, but that's not worth me sitting around all day watching CNN or CNBC waiting for the final bell to ring or even watch the after bell trading. I was semi-excited when the Dow rose over 50 points in a day 2 summers ago, but the next day, people started selling and it went back down. I think people should be aware where the economy is going, but not to the extent that it's an obsessive thing. I fear stock people because they are too paranoid/ too impulsive. My boss for the satellite company I worked for was a stock guy and how he felt for the rest of the day was dependant on where the market was. I try to avoid them now. But really, people spend too much time and expend too much effort watching the stock market.

2) Orange soda is one of the greatest inventions in the world. I reciently purchased a case of orange soda and I wanted to drink all of it that same day. But I had to ration it because I wanted to prolong the experience. Whoever came up with the idea for orange soda, I salute you. Shaa-wing!!!!

3) Finals week has got to be the single most depressing/ stressful/ exciting/ bowel moving/ drug taking week of the entire year....well that and tax time. But, seriously, college aged and, sometimes high school aged, people around the nation go through the same feelings of anxiety and self-doubt at the same time. Chemical use increases whether it be caffeine, Prozac, or Buspar. I don't know where I'm going with this one, but I felt like stating a truth....and no I'm not on drugs.

4) I need a Mickey in my corner. The kind of Mickey that know the in's and out's of everything. When it's time to take the big test or to ask a girl out, Mickey is right there to pump me up and give me words of encouragement. Then he kicks me to the middle of the ring and yell profanities at me trying to keep me motivated. That would be great. I'm in the testing center and Mickey is outside in the lobby and his angery, old guy voice resounds throughout the building telling me to keep going. Or when I'm playing DDR, Mickey is there to keep up the intensity. Then when the time to perform is done, Mickey is there to hand me a towel, give me some water and tell me to hit the showers. He needs to look like Burgess Meredith too. I don't think I could be motivated from by someone who looked like Paulie (Burt Young). He didn't do a good job when Rocky fought Mr.T the first time. Only Mickey would do.

5) Cell phones are good when used properly and in the appropriate time. But people base too much of their effort in cell phones. As I write this, there is a girl with her cell phone yakking away in what should be a quiet area. Breaking silence in a place that should be quiet is not kosher and should be punished. People driving and talking on their cell phones is also against the rules. People aren't driving, they are talking. Their concentration is somewhere other than driving. People around here can't drive good enough anyway, we don't need cell phones to 'bring down the average'. I liken cell phone drivers to that kid in class who shows up and screws around during class, doesn't learn a d**n thing, takes the final and drags down the average and the curve. I like playing with cell phones and I like a lot of people who have cell phones. I just don't think people know how to use them correctly. Maybe I should write the book on cell phone usage: when, where, why, and how (especially how the silent mode is enabled).

6) Spiderman is real.

No comments: