August 31, 2005

The Trip to D.C.

Day 1
I started out in the SLC, took a connecting flight to Atlanta, Georgia. I had an 1.5 hour layover so what is a boy to do while in the Atlanta Airport . . .ride the train, Of Course. There was a train between 5 terminals and the main terminal. I rode that one round trip, just to do it. With about 45 minutes before I could board my flight, I decided to get some food. I ate at a place called Paschal's, which was pretty much southern fast food. I had the Fried Chicken, collard greens, corn, cornbread, and Coke. It was my first time eating 'real' southern food so I had to try that too. I liked everything except the collard greens. I don't know why anyone would want to eat that stuff but I guess the homecooked stuff is better than the fast food stuff, which is usually the case. I felt very much in touch with my 'African' heritage.

Day 2
eSpencer, eJanna, and I went to Pennsylvania to go to a Bluegrass Festival. The drive up was great. Green everywhere. It reminded me of Iowa in the spring and summer. It was great sitting amongst all the old people and mountain folk, especially trying to figure out who was most likely to be their own grandpa. We saw a couple of guys who looked to be wearing sweaters but were really without a shirt. *shiver* WHO LET THESE PEOPLE OUT ?!?!
After hanging at the old people concert, we went to Gettysburg. That was awesome. We started out at Devil's Den and Little Round top. Continuted to Pickett's charge and the Angle, and ended at the All-You-Can-Eat Asian Buffet. There was just so much to see there, I'm definately going to have to go back and see more.

Day 3
After a very late start, we finally shoved eSpencer out the door and were on our way to Rehoboth, Delaware. Yes, yes, I said it. . . "Hi..I'm..in..delaware." After a brief stop at a WalMart (where eSpencer and eJanna were the in the minority) we were headed to the beach. Now, up to the 20 minutes before we actually got to the beach, there was overcast with the good possibility that it would rain. Regardless, we pressed on. Right when we got there, it was sunny, a slight overcast, and plenty of beach to enjoy. The water was slightly warmer than Oceanside, CA, which made it easier to adapt to. We three free spirits jumped in and swallowed as much ocean water as we could handle. The beach was good, not as good as California beaches but it was still most excellent. After getting our fill of the Atlantic, we walked the boardwalk, sang the song a few times, and went to the little carnival that they had on the boardwalk. We rode the Gravitron, the Bumper cars, and sqweezed our collective fannies into the Haunted House ride. My butt went numb but, hey, it was great.
Later we went looking for a crab shack or some kind of seafood place but found that they were either all full or they were too expensive, so we opted for one of the many pizza shops nearby. Our feet thanked us. We got back to eSpencer's house late again.

Day 4
This was Sunday, so we went to church at 9 am. eSpencer and eJanna teach the primary so I joined them in. I drew on some paperbags for them, chilled with Evan (my new friend in the CTR class), and tried to occupy the world's most ADD saturated kid who is called 'T-Michael' but who I renamed 'T-Mobile'.
This kid was hilarious, and when I say 'hilarious' I'm not referring to his ability to make jokes or say stuff that is witty. I am mainly referring to his ability to constantly remind everyone in the primary room that he was once 'busted by a teacher', meaning that he was supposedly beat up by a teacher, but I suspect that he was greatly exaggerating the story. He also was pretty open with his feelings, and by this I mean that he was always ready to let everyone know when they were getting on his nerves. 'T-Mobile' was also great in the fact that he was not shy about his pyromanic tendencies. If one of the primary teachers took away his drawing book, then he was ready to burn it, at least, that's what he would tell everyone. But I discovered 'T-Mobile's' kryptonite: candy. Give him some chewy candy like starburst and let him draw, then he is quiet for a good 20, maybe 30, seconds. I had so much fun hanging out with 'T-Mobile'. Evan was awesome too, I drew a Liger for him, which he liked very much.
After the Primary experience, eSpencer and eJanna has set up a sort of 'blind date'. Now, I think most of my readers know my policy on Blind dates. But for the rest of you, here is the policy: Don't go on a blind date ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever... (I don't have that many 'ever's memorized). But for some reason, I went on this one. The original plan was that I was suppose to go on a group date with the eSpencer and the eJanna and a girl who, coincidentially, has the same name as the wife of Joseph Smith. That was the original plan. eSpencer said that she was played soccer, she was half Nava-joe, and that she was cute. Well, he had me at soccer, so I decided to go. But I guess that she, all of a sudden, decided to go to Virginia college before I came out (which has an excellent women's soccer team, by the way) so the plan changed to going out with her sister, Heather. Now Heather was impressive as well. She was a Dartmouth college grad in Bio-Psych, (which is a merger of Biology and Psychology. Not a double major but a melding of sorts), she dabbled in about 3 languages, she was pretty well traveled, and she was also half Nava-joe. She was cute too, but what earned her more props was the fact that she was willing to go on a blind date where she didn't even know the eSpencer and eJanna that well. So three strangers, a blind date, she was willing to hangout with us at short notice, and she endured eSpencer's and my guff. That was very cool of her.
We went to the Smithsonian history museum and only saw a protion of one floor but we spent a couple of hours there. It was awesome. Definately have to go back and see more.
But while we were there, we saw one pair of the ruby slippers that was used in the 'Wizard of OZ', we saw one of the puffy shirts that was used in Seinfeld, and we saw Kermit the Frog. There was something for everyone.
After dropping Heather off, we got some bikes and rode around the Capital till way past midnight, looking at all the monuments and memorials. My favorites were the WWII memorial, the Vietnam Wall, and the view from the Lincoln memorial. Most excellent. I highly recommend biking around the Nation's capital at night. So, so, so Fun.

Day 5
The last day. eSpencer and eJanna had to go to work. So I spent some time at one of the malls around eSpencer's workplace. eJanna was kind enought to take me to the airport and I took a direct flight back to the SLC. But, while boarding the plane, I saw a familiar face, J. Harms, the ward baker. She was on her annual road trip with her family and she was taking the same flight I was back to the SLC. It was fun chattin with her.

So there you have it. My most awesome vacation ever. I've been to a few places but DC takes the cake. Very special thanks have to go to the eSpencer and the eJanna for taking me around to all the different places and putting up with my flak. Y'all are awesome.

No comments: