August 8, 2005

True to my nature, I tore apart my eBay watch just to see what was inside. Actually, it started way before that. Let me back up to the night before.

The Ritz, Em, Bryce W. and I went to Lagoon. That was wicked fun. I highly recommend the Spider ride, the Samurai, and the Rocket. Anyway, while standing in line for these and other rides, Bryce and I would stand and stare at various attractions and try to figure them out. Looking at the design and function, we would try to figure out how they worked and what made them work the way they did. I'm sure Em and the Ritz rolled their eyes many times while Bryce and I engaged in our 'Nerd Talk'. I had fun, waiting in line and also riding. It was great. We were there way past my bedtime.

The next day, tired but still functional, I noticed while at work that I got some water in my watch from riding the Rattlesnake Rapids (twice). So in an attempt to clean out this water, I took the backing off my watch and That's when my curious nature took over. Rather than putting my watch under the bathroom's dryer and letting the water evaporate, I proceeded to tear my watch apart till I found what drives the gears. Apparently, most cheap watches have a Capacitor hooked to a Logic gate hooked to a Solenoid that drives the gears, at least that's what it looked like. Pretty inexpensive.

So now, I don't have a watch anymore, I had a bunch of fun, and I fulfilled my curiousity as to what drove my watch and how Lagoon rides work.

No comments: