June 30, 2003

So here's the deal: I've fallin in love with my roof...actually, with any roof that has a good view. This love affair began when I was a kid, when we would uncover our cooler from the winter and get the old thing going for the summer. I didn't really recognize it that much, probably because of the heat and the dryness that is typical of New Mexico. But I knew that there was something that was cool about just being up there.
Then the college years rolled around. And like every other college student in the world, I experimented. Yes, it's true. I experimented with the whole roof love affair. Last summer, I had an opportunity to go out to Sac-town and install satellite dishes. Although the days were long and hot and the work was pretty intense, the only part of the day that I really looked forward to were my evening installs. This is the time of day when the sun would go down, the evening breeze would begin, and some stars could be seen. During the install, I would take a few minutes to sit on the rock tiled roof and enjoy the sun setting over the sea of houses, trees, and hills that are typical of central Cali. I was super glad to be back from Cali. but I still miss the roofs.
Now-a-days, I enjoy the roof of my house, overlooking the valley, plateaus, and mountains. Talk about heaven on earth. Reciently, I've found that reading is more enjoyable while sitting on a roof. Along with this, sitting at midnight on my roof is also pleasant. I wonder what else is enjoyable to do while up there....
When it is time to get my own house later on in life, I think I'm going to have to have either a soccer field, a pool, or a ski resort on my roof. Bert (Dick Van Dyke) got it right in Mary Poppins, "There's the whole world at your feet. And who gets to see it, but the birds, the stars and the chimney sweeps?"...and satellite installers.

No comments: