July 12, 2003

As I look around my surroundings and also look back in the the most recient past, I think that most people would like very much the see the Pirate comeback, and I think that this process started a long time ago. If you consider the facts and evidence at hand you will see what I am talking about.

Consider Pirate History

Then compare that with recient events.
1) Napster: Music Piracy
2) P2P (Shareware): Software Piracy
3) Seinfeld: the "Puffy Shirt"- Pirate Fashion
4) Movies that glorify the Pirate: Hook, Pirates of the Carribbean, Matrix, Cutthroat Island, Treasure Planet, Goonies, etc...
5) Internet Radio: Pirate Radio
6) Tampa Bay Bucchaneers and Pittsburgh Pirates: Sports Pirates
7) Cap'n Crunch: Cereal Pirate
8) Treasure Island: Pirate Book
9) Running Wild: Heavy Metal Pirates
10) Treasure Islands: (on Fox Box) Pirate TV for Kids
11) Bacardi: Use of a Pirate for advertising
12) the hacker Jolly Roger: Internet Pirate
13) Do-rags: Pirate headwear
14) Isaac Smith's "Smee" title: Pirate Nickname
15) Cypress Hill: self-proclaimed Pirates of Rap

The list could go on and on. So my point being, Pirates and piracy never left. Like Heavy metal, it was just laying low for a while until the right moment when it would make its big push onto the spotlight. It might be a good idea to start investing in those "Puffy Shirts". I know I'm already looking into getting my own 16th century boat with Black Flag.

No comments: