October 21, 2005

NOW it feels like Halloween!!!

For the past 4 years, I've sort of developed this halloween tradition for myself. It just happened and I'm sort glad it did. I'm not big into the holidays, sometimes I really hate them or other times I'm just so apathetic about the whole thing. I've never really was aware that this little tradition was in formation but after last night, I discovered that it's a true occurance. "What is this tradition?" you ask? Well, let me take you back four years ago. . .

After the mission trip to Iowa and coming to BYU, I lived in the Glenwood with 5 new roommates. I hardly knew anyone outside of these 5 kids, who I saw everyday. But one of the people I knew that lived in Provoland was a kid named Shawn. He is from NM also. He was in the same grade as my older brother, and they even room'd together in Deseret Towers. Shawn's brother, Dustin, was one of my friends from HS. We shared the same locker and we hung out quite frequently. I've become part of their family, sort of adopted in.

Well, it was coming around Halloween time and I didn't know anyone in my ward and all I did was study. Well, one day Shawn convinced me to go to a concert with him. This would be the first concert I've ever been to. It was coming up on the holiday season and I was in college, I need to try new things, so I said yes. I only knew one of the bands but Shawn was introducing me to who would later become one of my favorite bands. It was the Stone Temple Pilots concert w/ Godsmack and Disturbed. I didn't know who these bands were other than STP, who have always been a favorite.

Fast forward to now. A couple days ago, I pulled out one of my Godsmack CDs and started listening. I was listening to them yesterday and suddenly realized that I never really listen to them during the year other than at Halloween time. After listening to a few songs it felt like Halloween, and fall, and holiday season is upon us. Every year since the STP, Godsmack, Disturbed concert, I always listen to Godsmack around this time and through the rest of the year. It's become, really, the only holiday tradition that I have. The rest of the year feels the same, but when I pull out my holiday tunes, then it feels different, like the holiday season is suppose to. Everyone else can pull out their 'Monster Mash', or their 'Dead Man's Party', but me, I'm going Godsmack.

Now it feels like Halloween.

No comments: