June 30, 2005

I think I was being hit on by the 'check out' boy in the BYU bookstore.

I work at 6 in the morning. I walk to campus, grab my stuff, and then go to the SWKT to hang out for 4 hours while I do nothing. Today, I shut off the lights and took an hour nap without any service calls. That about sums up what I do every day. . .well that and watching Family Guy on the internet. Sometimes I read, most times I sleep. Not very often do I have to set equipment or go on a service call. I just hang out in the SWKT wondering when the Bookstore will be open so I can get some food.

Also, we have this dress code at work where we are suppose to wear some type of collared shirt, no T-Shirts especially ones with logos or pictures. Do I follow it?? Most of the time, yes, but there are times when I all I have are T-shirts. I'm not the polo shirt wearing type. If I'm going to wear a collared shirt, I'd rather wear a button down shirt than a polo shirt. . .bleech!

Anyway, today I wore my MLS Los Angeles Galaxy jersey, the one with a big MLS logo on the back and Galaxy in big letters on the front, it's frigging sweet. I've had this jersey since the MLS first began about 10 years ago. It's like my Toyota, I take care of it and it looks as good as the day when I got it. I love it.

So I'm wearing my jersey, my shift ends and I go back to the Fletcher building to drop off my keys and radio. Well, it's about 10am and the bookstore is open for bizness. I mosey on over and grab myself a Poweraid and a bagel. As I walk up to the counter, the 'check out' kid scans my food and I give him my debit card. In that space of time when the card is being authorized, prints the 7 miles of authorization papers (CompUSA is the worst for that), and I have to sign, there is a silence, which I'm ok with. I don't mind Not conversing with the 'check out' kid because I'll probably never interact with him ever again. But today, he feels the need to chat or is uncomfortable with that silence. Apparently, we are suppose to bond in some other way because we have the buyer/seller relationship already established. I blame the RM tendency to want to 'build on common beliefs'.*

So as I'm signing the little piece of paper, he pipes up and askes: "So...you like soccer?" I'm my mind I'm thinking, "Is he hitting on me?" and "I guess that's what girls experience in their teenage years from awkward teenage boys" and also "Wow, I have some really weird thoughts."

Without looking up, still signing, I say, "Yeah, I enjoy it." I give him his pen, take my card and my food and make a B-line for the door. 'That was weird.'

Now I know that I'm slightly homophobic but I think in instances like this, it's worth being slightly homophobic for the laugh.



* Everyday on the mission trip, missionaries study and role play how to find common ground with anyone that might be a potential teaching opportunity. Some of the examples that are given in the Missionary Guide are so corn ball but they do illustrate the point rather well. After two years of practicing this technique, RM's return with this still on the brain and do very well in retail sales, telemarketing, or door-to-door sales (satellite dishes, pest control, home security, etc.) It's a good skill to have when in one of these areas, but when it's forced like in the already given instance, then it's just awkward for all parties involved, especially when alot of these techniques that are proven in the mission field are employed in the 'trying to get a date' realm and very often in the Home Teaching realm. Granted it's important to find common ground in human social interaction, but the methods taken are very often still unpolished and/or need to be revamped for the different situation.**

** I still think that there should be an RMTC that all missionaies are required to go through when they are finished with their missions. This will expose them to a healthy doseage of TV, movies, music, wardrobe selection, and carbonated beverages. They will still have the opportunity to read scripture and stuff, but mainly given the opportunity to integrate 'worldly' things into their now changed demeanor. I think Utah would be less weird should an RMTC exist.

No comments: