June 2, 2005

As I was walking to school today, right by the Smith Fieldhouse, I saw a KSL van parked in the parking lot. It was out of place. . .till I remembered that the US National Soccer team was playing a World Cup qualifying match this saturday and they are in Provo to practice. The Wixom saw them at Los Hermanos and informed me that there were here. I was all excited.

So I saw the KSL van and knew that they would practice at the South Field, between the tennis courts and the Smith Fieldhouse. I walked over and there they were. The entire US National team. Cobi Jones, Kasey Keller, Landon Donovan, DeMarcus Beasley, and Freddy Adu were there. I didn't see Claudio Reyna or Eddie Pope or Ernie Stewart, but then again, they have a huge roster. It was awesome to see them practice, especially Kasey Keller who is one of my favorite goalkeepers and he was born on the same day I was: Nov. 29. Back in '94, he was third string behind Tony Meola and Brad Fridel. But now, he's starting Keep for the US team. It was awesome to see him and the rest of the team.

I watched them through the fence for a while, thinking the whole time that it would be awesome to go and support the team. The last time I saw the US team play was in '93 when they played a friendly with Chile in Alburqurque, NM and I convinced my whole family to go. That was an awesome day, dispite the fact that they lost 2-0. But I still did get to see Tony Meola at the House of Soccer in Albq. where he signed an poster and a ball for me. I still have the ball, but I don't like Meola that much anymore cause he went downhill after the '94 World Cup and he got a big head because he was starting Keeper. . . anyway.

I've been trying to convince the Wix to go to the game but he doesn't want to fork out the cash to purchase a ticket, so it looks like I'm going to fly solo to the game, which will still be cool because I will be watching the US team again.

The team looks a whole lot more skilled than the '94 team, but the '94 team had Marcelo Balboa, Alexi Lalas, and John Harkes (I think I remember him still being on the team). With the addition of Landon Donovan, DeMarcus Beasley, and Freddy Adu and with Claudio Reyna gaining more experience since the '94, this looks to be like a really competitive team.

If you want to catch the game, it will be on ESPN 2 saturday 5:30 pm MT. The US currently stands second in their Qualifying bracket behind Mexico. They need a win here. Costa Rica stands fourth in the bracket.

. . .

I just purchased my ticket and I will be on the 1st row on the sidelines.

I'M EXCITED !!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: